Anonymous

Who Was The First Black Football Manager In England?

5

Dan Banks Profile
Dan Banks answered

Tony Collins (1926 - ) was the first black football manager in the English football league. Collins played for two years at Rochdale A.F.C, making 47 appearances and scoring 5 goals before he was appointed player-manager in June 1960. He retired from playing the next year but carried on as manager of Rochdale, a post he held until 1967. He led Rochdale to their only League Cup final in 1962. He was then appointed as the assistant manager of Bristol City from 1967-1980 and subsequently held the managers job at Bristol in 1980, though only for a brief period.

Although Tony Collins was the first black manager in England, Keith Alexander (1958 - 2010) is considered to be a pioneer of the modern game and an important figure in the effort to drive racism out of football. He is widely acknowledged as being the most well-known and successful black manager to have managed in England. Keith Alexander had a long and distinguished playing career before taking charge of Lincoln City in the 1993/4 season. He returned to the managerial post at Lincoln from 2002 - 06 and has also managed teams such as Peterborough United and Macclesfield town.

Anthony Collins Profile
Anthony Collins , My life has been professional football, answered

When I left the army I played for Sheffield Wednesday,York,crystal palace, Watford, Torquay, Norwich, Rochdale where I became not only the youngest manager in the football league at that time aged 34 but the 1st black manager in the English football league, I then joined Alan Dicks as assistant manager at Bristol City, then I joined Don Revie at Leeds United and continued to work for England and joined Ron Atkinson as chief scout at Manchester United .

Adam Akim Profile
Adam Akim answered

Image result for Who Was The First Black Football Manager In England?

The story of Britain's first black manager. Tony Collins was a World War Two soldier who became Britain's first black football manager. BBC North West Tonight speaks to Collins, who in his firstmanagerial job, took fourth division Rochdale to the League Cup final in 1962

Anonymous